The Tempe Elementary School District encourages students to take pride in their attire as it relates to the school setting. Students should dress in a manner that, in addition to the following guidelines, takes into consideration the educational environment safety, health, and welfare of self and others. Students’ dress shall be neat, clean, and in good taste.
- Shoes must be worn at all times. Closed shoes are to be worn for any type of physical activity, such as physical education and recess.
- Jewelry shall not be worn if it presents a safety hazard to self and/or others.
- Profane or defamatory writing on clothing or jewelry is not acceptable.
- No hats may be worn by male or female students, except for properly approved occupational safety headgear required for special classes.
- Gang-related personalization is not permitted on hats, on items of clothing, or on one’s person.
- Obscene language or symbols, or symbols of drugs, sex, or alcohol on clothing are expressly prohibited.
If your school has uniforms, you must adhere to their guidelines. The schools in the Tempe Elementary School District that have uniform dress codes are: Aguilar Elementary, Arredondo Elementary, Carminati Elementary, Connolly Middle School, Curry Elementary, Fees College Preparatory Middle School, Frank Elementary, Holdeman Elementary, Laird School, Nevitt Elementary, Scales Technology Academy, Thew Elementary,Ward Traditional Academy and Wood Elementary. Please refer to your child’s school for more information on the dress standards specific to that school.
On special days (i.e.; holidays, spirit days) the dress code may be modified when permitted by the administration. Students will be allowed to wear protective outside clothing. Please properly mark your child’s jacket, sweater, lunch box, etc., with your child’s full name so that these items are easily identifiable. Lost and found areas are provided in the schools for lost articles.