During School Closures due to COVID-19/Coronavirus, we encourage interested participants to complete the Pen Pals Interest Form so we can help seniors and students help each other get through this unprecedented time.
Care Cards: Now Accepting Cards, Letters, and Drawings for Local Shut-in Seniors
If you simply want to send an encouraging note, letter or drawing to an elderly person who is homebound during COVID-19, please follow these guidelines or email Amy Garza for further instructions.
Care Card Guidelines:*
• Items MUST fit in a 9” x 12” envelope.
• Use 8 ½ by 11” paper/construction paper.
• Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds before you start!
• Be creative! You can add things to your paper, cut things out, glue/tape things on, etc.
• Write big (and dark), so elderly eyes can see it.
• Bright, colorful drawings/pictures are welcome and encouraged!
• Items can be handmade or store bought.
*We will follow CDC guidelines and hold all items for at least 24 hours before distributing to the elderly.
• Mail Plus - near Sprouts in Southern Palms Shopping Center
1628 E. Southern Ave., Tempe, 85282
(Mon-Fri, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.)
• Mail & More - next to Babbo in Fry's Shopping Center
9920 S. Rural Rd., Tempe, 85284
(Mon-Fri, 8:30 a.m. - 6 p.m., Sat. 9-5)
*You can mail to:
c/o Mail & More
9920 S. Rural Rd. #108
Tempe, AZ 85284
Pen Pals for Seniors involves Tempe students and seniors connecting through one-on-one letter writing and a face-to-face meet up to create relationships and build lasting bonds. Since its conception in the 2017-2018 school year, it has touched the lives of countless students and seniors in Tempe and beyond.
Amy Garza, visual communication specialist senior, started the program as a way to honor her grandmother's legacy. Amy and her grandmother spent many years as pen pals, and the way their relationship flourished encouraged Amy to start the program here in Tempe Elementary.
Teachers interested in being a part of the Pen Pal program can reach out to Amy via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (480-730-7140).
Individual students and seniors in Tempe or the surrounding community can complete this form:
Pen Pals for Seniors in the News
- Friendship knows no age limit with pen pals for seniors program
- Letter writing not a lost art, thanks to this 90-year-old