AVID - Advancement Via Individual Determination
Laird School is proud to be part of the AVID Program.
AVID is a 3rd-12th grade system that prepares students in the academic middle for four-year college eligibility. It has a proven track record in bringing out the best in students, and in closing the achievement gap. AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination.
What AVID is...
- AVID is an acronym that stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination.
- AVID is an in-school academic support program for grades 3-12 that prepares students for college eligibility and success.
- AVID places academically average students in advanced classes.
- AVID levels the playing field for minority, rural, low-income and other students without a college-going tradition in their families.
- AVID is for all students, but it targets those in the academic middle.
- AVID is implemented schoolwide and districtwide.
What AVID isn't...
- AVID isn't a remedial program.
- AVID isn't a free ride.
- AVID isn't a niche program.
- AVID isn't a college outreach program.