The Uniform Dress Code for Ward Traditional Academy:
1) Identifies the child as a student of Ward Traditional Academy
2) Diminishes social identifications by clothing choices
3) Places focus on academics and safety during school hours
Students are expected to dress in a neat, modest fashion to promote a school learning environment that is respectful, safe and allows all students to maximize their academic growth. We appreciate your cooperation in making certain that your child’s clothing follows our uniform policy. If you have questions about an item, style, color, etc., seek guidance from the administration or faculty.
- Solid color in black, navy, burgundy, pastel pink or white
- Polo style with collar and sleeves, tucked in required for 4-8 grade
- Length no longer than wrist length when arms are straight at sides and no shorter than pant waist when arms are raised.
- NO graphics or logos (other than WTA) are permitted.
- A uniform colored turtleneck or undershirt is permitted for warmth under the uniform top. Layering of tops for fashion is not allowed.
- Solid Navy or Khaki
- Basic uniform chino style, undamaged, hemmed, pants, Bermuda shorts (8” inseam), skirts, skorts or capris made of twill or cotton/polyester blend.
- Jumper or polo shirt-dresses
- Length for shorts and skirts may not measure more than 3” above the knee.
- No graphics, logos or embellishments are permitted.
- Not Permitted: Drawstring pants, pants gathered at ankle, skinny pants or jeans, sweats, cargos, or leggings worn as pants.
- Jackets to be worn indoors must be solid navy, black, burgundy, pink, white or gray.
- Jackets to be worn outdoors may be any color, but must be one solid color with minimal accent color.
- NO graphics or logos (other than WTA) are permitted.
- Please write the student’s name in the jacket so it can be identified in the lost and found.
Shoes are to have closed toes and closed heels. Athletic shoes are recommended with minimal accent colors and no embellishments that could cause classroom disruptions. No solid neon colored shoes. Boots are never allowed. When shopping for shoes, make the most conservative choice. The reason for a uniform is to not stand out.
Must be worn at all times. Socks must be matching and be either: solid black, navy blue, white, brown or gray in color. Styles may include ankle, mid-calf, knee socks or tights. Leggings or tights cannot be worn alone as pants, but may be worn under a skirt or dress as long as they are a solid uniform color.
RELATED DRESS ISSUES
Hair – Only natural hair colors are acceptable. Faddish or distracting hairstyles, facial hair, or haircuts, including, but not limited to Mohawks, faux-hawks are not allowed. Hair must be worn off the face. Distracting headwear is also prohibited.
Makeup – Only natural looking makeup is permitted. Distracting makeup, such as dark lipstick, dark glittery eye shadow or eyeliner, are not permitted. (Do not bring makeup to school). Nail coloring must be neatly applied and maintained and not dark or distractive. Tattoos (temporary or permanent), writing or marks on exposed skin are not allowed. Body fragrance is discouraged.
Jewelry – Pierced jewelry is permitted in ears only. Studs or small earrings are allowed. Large, dangling or hoop earrings, bracelets or jewelry that could cause distraction during instruction or injury on school grounds are not permitted.
Belts – If worn should be solid black, or brown, without embellishments and worn through belt loops allowing pants to fit at the waist.
Hats - Hats or sunglasses may be worn for outdoor activities only. Hats for warmth must be in a solid uniform color and worn only outdoors. NO graphics or logos (other than WTA) are permitted.
(Every Friday or a reward day designated by the Principal) Optional
Students are allowed to wear a WTA school related t-shirt. Spirit shirts can be purchased in the office. Many students have sports, classroom, or PACE t-shirts that are also allowed.
Bottoms are “plain blue denim” pants, Bermuda length shorts, skirt or capris, free of all decoration, graphics, holes or tears no more than 3 inches above the knee. Flat side pockets are permitted; puffy cargo pockets are not allowed.
NO UNIFORM DAY (Including Spirit Week)
This is a reward day earned by the student(s) to wear their regular clothing. It remains the goal at WTA that students always observe modesty and a reasonable standard of dress. As such, the following standards shall apply to clothing worn on a “No Uniform Day”:
- Clothing should be undamaged and hemmed.
- Logos or graphics that are offensive, display obscene or inflammatory language or gang affiliation, offer advertising for controlled substances, or depict violence are not allowed.
- Tops should be sleeved and fully cover student’s midsection.
- Length of shorts and skirts no more than 3 inches above the knee.
- Hair, Makeup and Jewelry standards remain the same as with the uniform policy.
- No jeggings, leggings or pajamas.
- Standards for footwear remain the same as with the uniform policy.
ENFORCING THE WARD TRADITIONAL ACADEMY DRESS CODE
Parent/guardians are responsible for sending their children to school in school approved dress and grooming. Dress code violations will be determined by the administration and faculty. Teachers will check for compliance with the uniform dress code daily. If a violation is determined the parent/guardians may be contacted to bring appropriate clothing to school.
Written notice will be sent to parents for every uniform violation. The notice is to be signed by the parent/guardian and returned to the school office the following day. If the notice is not signed and returned the following day, the parent/guardian may be emailed to verify notification.
1st offense: Written warning
2nd offense: The student will be required to sit out during recess.
3rd offense: The student and their parent/guardian will be required to have a meeting with the teacher to review the uniform dress code to ensure understanding and compliance.
4th offense: The parent/guardian will be required to accompany the student to school each morning for a full week. The student will be allowed on campus only after the principal (or their designee) gives the student uniform approval. With approval, the parent/guardian may sign in their student for the day.
5th offense: The student’s enrollment at Ward Traditional Academy will be reviewed/discussed by the parent/guardian(s) and administrator.