Tempe Academy of International Studies is being rebuilt thanks to the Tempe Elementary School District voters who authorized the 2016 Bond. Without your assistance, this rebuild would not be possible.
Tempe Academy of International Studies is being renovated as well as new buildings being built thanks to the Tempe Elementary School District voters who authorized the 2016 Bond. Without your assistance, this rebuild would not be possible.
Tempe Academy of International Studies will be undergoing a complete school renovation while on an active campus and will be performed in multiple phases. The school will be including two new buildings. The new buildings will be single-story buildings which will blend with the existing structures.
The rebuild portion will also include a new administration and learning commons building, a new cafeteria building with a kitchen and several new classrooms. The project will include ample opportunity for natural daylight in each space, polished concrete floors and carpet use, as well as outdoor dining and learning spaces. There will also be a parent drop-off area with longer queuing areas and more parking opportunities.
We will have a Contractor’s in the Classroom program with Tempe Academy, but we are still designing what this program will look like for our IB students.
The Tempe Academy of International Studies (TAIS) rebuild/renovations are planned to be completed February 2022.
- Architect – DLR Group
- Construction Manager at Risk (CMAR) – Concord General Contracting
- Tempe Elementary School District Educational Advisor – Superintendent Christine Busch
- Tempe Elementary Facilities Management for Learners Project Management Team – Dave Farmer, Robyn Reichert, and Courtney Quesada
- On September 12, 2019 - Community Meeting/Update of Design - We presented conceptual floor plans, elevations, site plan, schedule, and assessment update and offer an opportunity for comments.
New Features and Upgrades:
Below is a listing of new features and upgrades that will be integrated in the Tempe Academy renovations and rebuild.
- Natural daylight and LED lighting.
- 2012 Energy Code Requirements and Building Energy Management System in use.
- More energy savings with less exterior doors and access points with energy efficient windows.
- More centralized parent and community gathering areas with easier use for night or community meetings.
- Student breakout spaces.
- Outdoor dining and shade area.
Upgrades to School Safety:
Below is a listing of upgrades to school safety that will be integrated in Tempe Academy’s rebuild.
- Parking and access to front of school and administration will be more defined with more parking.
- Parent drop-off and queuing will allow more traffic to come off the streets and more organized while also not causing issues with traffic.
- Secured campus from the City fields.
- Secured centralized courtyards for better building security.
- More windows for better sight of the campus.
For Design and Construction Updates:
- Sign up to receive e-notifications as updates and meeting notices are published on this web page. You can sign up for our "Tempe Academy Construction and Design Updates" e-notifications at www.tempeschools.org/enotification.
- See above information on community meeting dates.
- If you have additional questions about our school rebuild, please contact our Facilities Management for Learners office at (480) 642-1542.
When will construction begin?
We anticipate construction beginning the later part of April 2020.
When will construction end?
The project end date is scheduled to be February 2021.
Where will students be during this time of construction?
The design of the building will allow us to occupy all current classroom space during the course of construction.
Where will buses be after the rebuild?
Buses will have a separate drop off location along Broadmor just south of the school.
Will students be using portables during construction?